About

Club History

 

The Social Science Club of Terrell (SSC) was organized in 1894. In 1897, SSC, along with 21 other women's clubs, formed the Texas Federation of Women's Clubs (TFWC). One of the goals of the TFWC was to secure libraries for small towns in Texas. This was accomplished in 1904, and the Andrew Carnegie Foundation funded the Carnegie Library in Terrell, Texas. The Carnegie Library is now home to the Terrell Heritage Society and Museum.

The Social Science Club of Terrell has continued its objective of intellectual development of its members, as well as raising funds to benefit Terrell civic and educational projects.  Current benefactors include, but are not limited to, the Heritage Museum, the Share Center of Terrell, and college scholarships.

 

2022- 2023 OFFICERS

President / Notification Chair

Tori Lucas

 

Vice President / Directory/Hostess Chair

Cindy Oakley

Treasurer / Courtesy Chair

Veronica Wilkerson

Recording Secretary

Karen Bedford

 

Corresponding Secretary / Program Chair

Mayrani Velasquez

Historian/Reporter

Jean Ann Ables-Flatt

 

Parliamentarian

Jenny Heisel

 

Social Media

Hillary Heisel

 

Publications

Lauren Oakley

 

Fundraising/Civic Chairs

Kitty Brin

Janice Dowlearn

 

Altruistic/Scholarship Chair

Johnette McCain-Cervantes

Founding Members

Mrs. Ophelia Cartwright

Miss Kate Childress

Mrs. W. B. Christian

Mrs. Rena Gill

Mrs. Libby Grinnan Griffith

Mrs. Belle Grinnan

Miss Lucille Grinnan

Mrs. Elizabeth Heath

Mrs. Mary Muckleroy

Mrs. Eva Muckleroy Moore

Miss Nannie Orr

Miss Pearl Phillips

Miss Addye Stewart

Mrs. Celeste Terrell